Monday, May 10, 2010

A letter to a friend

Words cannot express the mixed bag of emotions that I'm feeling right now. First, I want to thank you for choosing me to be your companion; you made my life better in so many ways. You have been with me longer than some of my closest friends--longer than my husband. You saw me through heartache and joy.

You were with me when I broke my ankle--even if I did blame you for falling down those stairs. You were with me when Justin proposed. You were with me when we moved into the new house. You were with me when I learned I was pregnant. You were a constant, calming presence in my life for the last 10 years. Thank you for being so gentle with Evelyn even when she was not gentle with you.

You greeted those you loved with exuberant affection. Your bark was just enough to intimidate those that did not belong. You were the kind of dog that made a dog lover out of anyone. My seven-year-old neighbor said it best, "I don't like dogs, but if I ever got a dog, I would want it to be a Zoey puppy."



So, my sweet Zoey-bear, watch over Evelyn, Justin and I as we carry on without you. When it comes time for us to welcome another dog into our family, help guide the right pup to our door. I know you will wait for me at the Rainbow Bridge, but while you are there say hello to all of my fur-babies that have gone on before you.

I will always love you.

1 comment:

Jennifer O. said...

OH NO!!!! Megan, I am so very sorry to hear this awful news. My heart goes out to you and Justin as I know how painful the loss of a fur kid can be (((((big hugs)))))